Generating ideas: The journey to the heart of analogies
This idea-generation tactic consists of changing the field of investigation for a familiar field, different from the field concerned, in order to enrich it. For example, if I work with mobile phones, I can make an analogy with sweets, paintings or music.
1. Have fun.
2. Enrich an object or service.
3. Improve, transform, purify, use an object differently, or a service or behavior.
It is up to you to organize yourself and imagine how to exploit the wealth of content. It is important to lead to transpositions in the context, the situation, the starting object. The deviation into analogy is a source of inspiration. The more you play with analogies, the more you will be able to extract all their richness.
A few tips:
- Look for analogies, i.e. specific fields (e.g. plants, music, etc.) or specific things (animals, clown, cockpits, novels, songs, materials, cooked dishes, etc.).
- Find analogies in the different sensory channels (visual, auditory, touch, smell, taste).
- Make your list. You will use it and enrich it for further research.
Define the framework
Recall the context of your research.
Clarify your objectives. Remind them, refine them.
Determine the selection criteria for your idea production.
Depending on your subject, choose one, two, or three analogies (maximum) that, depending on the criteria defined, will probably provide you with the most information.