Generating ideas: destroying to build
You believe that the world is immutable.
You think that since "it worked, it will always work", but that is not the case.
You don't want to make what you created disappear. But... everything changes!
I invite you to destroy, destructure, transform... to open up to new ways of thinking or current realities (products, services, methods...).
This approach is particularly interesting in terms of product development, but also in terms of organisational methods, information media and methods, and processes.
Some tips to make this practice a success
- Prepare before the questioning adapted to your subject.
- Multiply the questions and apply as many distortion verbs as possible.
- Determine at the outset your criteria for selecting the ideas that will be proposed.
Choose and make visible the types of distorsion
Determine the object of your research and define with the group the most relevant actions to work on your subject such as:
- Use Otherwise,
Write your subject in the following way: "how to..." Display the verbs and questions associated with each verb.
Ask questions with SUBSTITUTE
What other tools, materials, processes, locations, resources or approaches are available?
Ask questions with COMBINE
- How to merge ideas (or products, services, process elements...)?
- How to associate them by dissociating units, intentions, attractive words, other ideas?
Ask questions with ADAPT
- What does this idea (or products, services...) look like?
- What does that remind me of?
- What can we get out of it?
- Can we compare it to other ideas?
Ask questions with MODIFY
- What can be added or removed?
- Can its meaning, color and shape be changed?
Ask questions with USE OTHERWISE
- Can this idea (or products, services...) be reused in another way, in another form?
- Can it be reused if it is modified?
Ask questions with ELIMINATE
- What can be eliminated?
- What can be partially achieved, reduced?
Sort all the ideas using your selection criteria.
- Draw, make models and stories of your investigations.
- Show them, share them.